- 10 pounds of guinea hen by Columbia River Natural
- 2 pounds of organ/offal blend by GreenTripe.com (1-2 lb chubs)
- 2 pounds of a vegetable mix
- Stainless steel bowls
- Mixing spoons
- Mixer (optional)
- Rubbermaid containers (I have several sets – these are amazing)
I prefer to feed my dogs ground raw dog food; it’s easy to feed ground raw from their dog dishes and leaves less of a mess.
I typically grind all of the meat and mix them in several huge stainless steel bowls. Once mixed, I transfer the ingredients into Rubbermaid containers and into the fridge and freezer. Columbia River Natural pet food comes ground, so this saved me a step.
The vegetable mix can be added while mixing all of the meat or to each meal as you feed your dogs. I do both depending on what I have on hand (and what I remember to do).
The above ingredients will create a balanced meal for at least a week for my four big dogs.
My dogs get the same supplements daily, but not all of my dogs get each of the following supplements. I add these to my dogs’ morning or evening meal:
- Fish Oil: Bonnie & Clyde Pet Goods
- Joint Supplement: Nupro Joint & Immunity Support; WellyTails Rx Cartilage, Hip, and Joint Supplement, or In Clover Connectin Chews
- Turmeric Paste (recipe card below)
- Veggie Mix (recipe card below)
- Raw Goats Milk or Milk Kefir (as a treat – but it’s good for them too)
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT THIS RAW MEAL:
I ordered guinea hen from Columbia River Natural as an alternative to chicken, which I don’t feed, because two of my dogs are allergic. Turns out that guinea hen is not a good alternative. The girls did great on the protein, the boys didn’t do so hot after a couple days of eating it.
I plan to write about the experience over on Keep the Tail Wagging and will update this post with a link once the article goes live.