DIY Vegetable Mix for Dogs

I’ve been making a vegetable mix for my dogs for a couple of years now and recently I’ve been having fun changing things up as I learn more about the nutrients my dogs need in their diet.  Here is the vegetable mix I made this week.

• 1 bunch of Spinach
  • 2 bunches of Parsley
  • 1 bunch of Collard Greens
  • 1 bunch of Kale
  • 1 bunch of Celery
  • 2 large Zucchinis
  • 2 large Broccoli Flowers
  • 2 cans of Oysters, boiled and in water
  • 5 cloves of Garlic – yes, this is perfectly safe and healthy for dogs
  • 20 Cremini mushrooms*
  • 4 cups of Bone Broth
  • 1 cup of Golden Paste
  • 1 cup of Green Lipped Mussel Powder
  • 6 tbsp of Life Line Kelp

I chop and blend all of the vegetables, adding a small amount of water to make it easier.  I split everything between two 8 quart stainless steel bowls. I mix in the bone broth, golden paste, green lipped mussel powder, and kelp.  Transfer the mixture to Rubbermaid containers and freeze until needed.

Vegetables provide additional nutrients, a natural source of fiber, are an anti-inflammatory, provide antioxidants, and veggies lower blood sugar levels.

*The Many Health Benefits of Mushrooms (And How to Add Them to Your Pet’s Diet)

10 Comments Add yours

1. I love this so much! Thank you for sharing it! We will definitely try it!Awesome blend!!!!!

2. Heather Wright says:

How much of this veggie mix do you give your dogs per day? (How much per pound of dog)? Thank you!!!!

1. KimberlyGauthier says:

I add two or three tablespoons to their raw meals. I don’t worry about an amount per pound; I treat this as a meal topper and don’t reduce muscle meat, bone, or organs when adding.

3. Christie says:

Is raw mushroom safe for dogs? Thanks

4. Crystal Shelton says:

Hello, I was always under the impression that garlic was toxic to dogs just like onions are. How did you you find out other wise, because I would love to do the research before putting that into the recipe that I would like to try of yours, so that I don’t have a panic attack all day worried that my dog might get sick. I really enjoy your website and am thinking of tranfering over to your diet plan, but I really do need some specific info. On garlic if possible. Thanks so much for your time.

5. Tracy says:

My dog is Diabetic & suffers with EPI & is allergic to a lot He is also an extremely picky eater He wont eat any raw veggies They have to be cooked & mashed up or blended in food processor He wont eat Raw Turkey & Chicken Has no problem with raw Beef Pork Bison Tripe I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out menus for him

6. Chrissy says:

Hi Kimberly,
    thank you for all of the information you share – you are my go to!! i recently tried the Dr Harveys Raw Vibrance and my dog liked it. Its the only one that he has without all the added minerals and such. Thats where I get reluctant to add things, seeing all the added stuff after the food. I really want to try and get a green mix for my Lab and this looks tasty.Do you cook the veggie mix at all or just straight to the processor? I have read where its better to lightly steam or puree to get all the goodness, but then again I have seen NO COOKING..lol…

thanks!

1. I don’t cook the vegetables that I put in the mix. The most I do is ferment them. I have a recipe here: http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/ferment.